Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Addition Stamping Centers

The following are printables that I use for some of my math centers. Since Louisiana switched to the Common Core, I wanted my centers to reflect the new curriculum our parish(district) uses. 

Originally, I posted a printable called, "Stamp a Story Problem." I loved this activity because students differentiate the complexity of each problem because they create it. However, it was not organized.  Since we focus a lot on the tens frame, I decided to alter the recording sheet. You will need a variety of small stamps and ink for this activity.
Students create their own story problem using picture stamps.  The tens frame makes it easier for students to organize their thinking.  My students are more fluent when it comes to addition because of the tens frame.  (*Helpful hint: Ice cube trays are a great way to keep track of your stamps. I can glance at the tray and see if I am missing any.)
Also, I created a "Stamp a Number Sentence" recording sheet. You will need number stamps and ink for this activity.
Students create their own addition problem by placing dots in the tens frame.  Next, they stamp the number sentence.   (For beginners, you could already place the dots in the tens frame.)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for all the free resources in your blog. I'll use some with my two kiddos. With this activity, I love they can create their own story problems. It will make them to think and internalize about it. I'll start off soon with homeschooling. This activity will help me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great idea for little first graders! I'm sure that the kids really enjoy it! My little girl is currently in first grade and she loved it! They get out for summer in a month and I want to buy her teacher a "thank you" gift. Would you happen to know where I could find a school themed photo frame that I could purchase and give her? http://www.outwesttrading.net/listing.asp?dept_id=45290&nopopup=1

    ReplyDelete